Crockpot LasagnaOriginal Recipe:
No need to cook the noodles first or stay home while it bakes. Just let it sit a few minutes before serving so it can firm up a bit.
1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
1 small onion(s), chopped
1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
15 oz canned tomato sauce
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cup(s) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
6 item(s) dry lasagna noodles, no-cook
1/2 cup(s) shredded Parmesan cheese, strong-flavored like Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
* Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
* Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
* Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
* Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover; turn off heat and season to taste, if desired.
* In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes. Yields 1/6th of dish per serving.
I changed the recipe by using a total of 1.5 lbs. of lean ground meat. I also added double the garlic is called for. Then, I added a lot more seasoning then it said to add. I probably added about another tablespoon or so of seasonings. I actually added Italian Seasoning which isn't even in the recipe. I've changed the serving size to 8. The additional meat added more servings. I could possibly get even more than 8 servings. I'll continue counting as we eat leftovers. I only cooked it for 3.5 hours on low.
I served this with roasted asparagus and frozen corn.
Fiance's Review: Loved it! Surprised at how well it came out. Can't wait to eat the leftovers!
My Review: It was so great! The flavors were awesome. Plus, it was super easy to make. It would be great to come home from work (i'll be a teacher so i'll come home at 3) put it on and then go workout. Come home and still have some time to get some work done, then have a delicious dinner waiting for you.
Using my changes it was 5 points! That's for a nice serving size! 5 points for 8 servings.